Sad news that the lovely Filey Museum will not be reopening this year due to the ongoing issues caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. The museum was set to open this spring, but lockdown meant that the grade II listed building had to remain closed. It was hoped to be able to open during the summer season, but unfortunately that has proven to be impossible. However, it is hoped that the museum will fully reopen in the spring of 2021.
The building that houses the museum is thought to be the oldest domestic building in the town, dating back to 1696. It was originally two single storey cottages with a thatched roof. It stands on Queen Street, one of the town’s oldest streets which has previously been called Fisherman’s Road, Main Street and King Street.
Much of the old character of that part of town was lost with so-called slum clearances after the war. In the late 1960s the two cottages that form the museum were scheduled for demolition. Fortunately Filey Urban district Council offered the building to the Filey Local History Society for the establishment of a museum.