Filey Museum in Triumphant Reopening!

Filey, History   /   Tags: ,

For two long years, the wonderful Filey Museum on Queen Street has remained closed, another victim of the Covid pandemic. The combination of a tightly-packed museum that comprises of a couple of fishermen’s cottages and an ageing volunteer base, meant that the museum had to close during the pandemic and was unsuitable for a partial reopening as restrictions began to be eased.

Thankfully, with the pandemic restrictions now a fading memory, the museum has been able to reopen to the public. The museum is open daily until the end of October, Sunday-Friday 11am-3.30pm. It is closed on a Saturday.

It is an absolute bargain to become a Friend of the Museum for a mere £3, which allows  admission for a full year. Accompanied children aged under eighteen are admitted free of charge.

The building that houses the museum is thought to be the oldest domestic building in the town, dating back to 1696. It was originally two single storey cottages with a thatched roof. It stands on Queen Street, one of the town’s oldest streets which has previously been called Fisherman’s Road, Main Street and King Street.

Much of the old character of that part of town was lost with so-called slum clearances after the war. In the late 1960s the two cottages that form the museum were scheduled for demolition. Fortunately Filey Urban district Council offered the building to the Filey Local History Society for the establishment of a museum.

Filey Museum


 likes / One comment
Share this post:

comment this post

Click on form to scroll


> <
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec